WORLD MIME DAY 2016
CALL FOR COOPERATION
World Mime Day is closing up and we see initiatives from many artists, schools, theatres and other institutions around the world to support and celebrate World Mime Day on March 22nd the day Marcel Marceau was born. Please share with all of us your ideas via e-mail or on World Mime Organisation and World Mime Day official pages on FaceBook.
We have Wikipedia on board for this year! But we have to help AND WORK TOGETHER.
We have had a meeting with people from Wikimedia Serbia and discussed cooperation with World Mime Organisation (WMO). They have agreed to support World Mime Day initiative through Edit-a-Thon (writing articles and editing marathon).
It should be an event in which we should have students/volunteers that will be briefly educated how to write and edit articles on Wikipedia. They should be given books and other resources with information about mime and mime artists, shows, festivals, schools etc. They will write articles and post them on Wikipedia as well as photos and videos under the Creative Commons licence for free use.
You could and should share photos and videos from your mime theatre, group, your self, festivals and shows and from the schools and universities and of other mime artists from your country if you can get them to participate and of course about the history of mime in your country, region and the world.
If you do not have time to do all of that you can also participate by translating existing articles on Wikipedia from other languages to your mother-tongue or from your mother-tongue to other language that you master.
The Serbian Wikimedia office on behalf of World Mime Organisation would write to your National Wikimedia Chapter to recommend you and then we would provide you with the contact so that you could organise the event with them.
We already have few countries on board and it would be great to make this a truly world event.
All that is needed is few volunteers with computers, some documents, books, photos, videos, press clipping - sources of information as Wikipedia is an encyclopaedia and need to cite relevant sources. And in few hours volunteers can write and upload all the materials…
Please download and read the following documents that will explain everything.
Thank you very much. Best wishes.
World Mime Day Wiki Edit-a-Thon
This years “World Mime Day Wiki Edit-a-Thon” (Mime on Wikipedia Marathon) event is actually not a single event happening in one place but many events in many countries and each event in each country should be organised by a local person or institution involved in mime and by a local Wikimedia chapter (national Wikipedia charter).
The idea is to enrich the content regarding mime on Wikipedia in different languages.
What does a local organiser need to do?
- Agree to organise the event and coordinate all parties during preparation period and realisation
- Make contact with local Wikimedia chapter (national Wikipedia charter). I will personally send him/her contact that Wikimedia Serbia will give as they will be the first to contact a local Wiki person in your country
- Find few volunteers with computers that will do all the work preparing all the materials. Volunteers could be students of mime, theatre, film, languages, journalism, history of art, computer sciences or any others who know how to write and have an interest in mime.
- Find a space with internet where you and your volunteers can come on the World Mime Day, March 22nd and do all the work they have previously prepared. That can be in your theatre, (mime) studio/school, university, (public) library, co-working space, cafe, park…
- Organiser and volunteers should find relevant sources of information on mime (books, web sites, theatre programs, post-doctoral/PhD/Master research documents, all kind of official documents, press clipping, etc.). Wikipedia is an encyclopaedia so every information posted on Wikipedia has to be truthful and must have a relevant source to prove it.
- You can write about mime in the world and/or mime in your country and/or mime in your city and/or mime in your school/university and/or mime in your theatre/film/TV/web/media and/or in your festival… You can write about mime in general, mime history, mime theatres/groups/companies formal and informal, mime shows, mime artists, mime schools/universities/departments, mime festivals, mime projects. If you are a mime artists you can give materials to a volunteer who can write about you, your shows, your projects, your school, your festival etc…
- IMAGES and Videos - Organiser and volunteers should prepare all the photos and videos they can find and if they do not own them acquire permission to post them for free use on Wikipedia under Creative Commons and other Public Domain copyrights. Every image should have a permit and a description.
- You can post images of you as a mime artist/teacher/researcher/director/organiser (etc…), images from your shows, theatre, films, videos, school/university, festivals, artwork with mime as a topic/theme…You can do the same for other mime artists and institutions. That way you can promote better what you do and make it more available online.
- If you know well some other language or you have volunteers that can help try to translate written articles and post them in other languages as well.
This sound complicated and a like a lot of work. It is not complicated but it needs some time and dedication. On the other hand it will make mime and yourself and your work more visible to the world and those information will stay forever on Wikipedia as encyclopaedic truth.
- The other thing that is much easier to do is find articles on mime Wikipedia in other languages and translate them into your mother-tong an post them on Wikipedia and/or find articles on mime in your language and translate them into other languages and post them on Wikipedia.
All images must have a written consent by the author or owner. Of course one author/owner can sign one agreement/consent for a group of images.
TEXT OF THE AGREEMENT / Consent:
For the Use of Wikipedia/Wikimedia
I hereby affirm that I, ________ represent ________________ the creator and/or sole owner of the exclusive copyright of photo: http://www.../(attachment) as shown here: http://www.....
I agree to publish the above-mentioned content under the following free license: Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International.
I acknowledge that by doing so I grant anyone the right to use the work, even in a commercial product or otherwise, and to modify it according to their needs, provided that they abide by the terms of the license and any other applicable laws.
I am aware that this agreement is not limited to Wikipedia or related sites.
I am aware that the copyright holder always retains ownership of the copyright as well as the right to be attributed in accordance with the license chosen. Modifications others make to the work will not be claimed to have been made by the copyright holder.
I acknowledge that I cannot withdraw this agreement, and that the content may or may not be kept permanently on a Wikimedia project.
Images should have a short description as well.
English: Fort Lawrence - Nova Scotia by John Hamilton 1755
Source: Mount Allison University Archives
Author: John Hamilton
Thank you for your effort.